Bó Rua Farm is seeking an Assistant Cheesemaker
Bó Rua Farm is seeking a part-time Assistant Cheesemaker to join our award-winning farmhouse cheesemaking enterprise.
Through our cheesemaking, we aim to create high-quality, sustainably produced cheese reflecting the quality of the milk from our own herd of Montbeliarde & Friesian cows.
At Bó Rua Farm we work daily to maximise the quality of our herds’ milk for cheese production so that we produce cheese that is both delicious and an expression of our unique terroir and herd.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Caring for milk and adding ingredients that transform it into cheese
- Separating cheese curds and whey
- Milling heavy slabs of cheese into bite-sized cheese curds
- Filling curds into cheese moulds
- Taking cheese out of cheese moulds
- Sanitising cheesemaking equipment, vat, utensils and the work environment
- Maintaining cheesemaking records
- Weighing, cutting, wrapping and labelling of cheese for dispatch
- Using production equipment run on pneumatic and electrical power
- General cheese care during maturation
- Adhere to Bó Rua Farm’s food safety plan
- Interact with visitors in a professional and courteous manner
- Other tasks relating to the position may develop over time
- Handcrafting cheese is strenuous, physical labour. The role requires repetitive lifting up to 10kg and the moving and lifting of cheese from high and low shelves and working with a deep cheese vat during production.
- Attention to detail and quality, we are making award-winning cheese after all!
- Safety. We are always thinking of the safety of our employees as well as food safety for our customers. Familiarity with HACCP is an advantage.
- Teamwork. Cheesemaking/packaging is enjoyable when the team works together to share the load.
- Previous experience in food production, cheesemaking or cheese mongering is a big plus, but not essential.
This is a part-time role of 15 hours per week scheduled on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. It requires some flexibility around work days and hours. There is the potential for this to grow into a full-time position within the first year.
Bó Rua Farm may be a good fit for you if:
Take pride in your work
Love good food
Are motivated and enjoy working in a family farm environment
Have a positive attitude, flexibility, and ability to take direction
Interested candidates should send their CV email@example.com